Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Rocking Redo

I have been on a kick of wanting to redo things. We have a small room in the house that we never really decorated. It is called a "Living Room" on the house plans and we hardly ever use it. We always use the "Family Room" instead. So it was kinda ignored. I did have a wing back chair & matching ottoman in their along with a table my aunt had let us borrow until we decide what to do.
I have a vision of a "Shabby Chic/Black&White" Office. Does this make any sense? lol I didn't want to spend a lot of money on new furniture so I started searching Craig's List and Local Sales Network...and I was able to find a old rocking chair. I fell in love with the style of legs. I knew she had potential. I warned my husband when we went to pick it up. I said "Now this chair does not look like much". His response when he got back in the truck was "that is the ugliest chair I have ever seen". Granted it did look bad. Here is what it looked like when we made it home....
See the detail on the legs...that is what I feel in love with. I was so excited to get to "work" so I started that night. Boy was I in for a surprise. HA! This is the 2nd layer of upholstery....

And this is the 3rd...

And this is the 4th...


I have never pulled some many tacks and straight pins before. I would guess over 200 in that chair.

So after this was finished we had to rebuild the seat part, fill in a lot of holes with wood filler, sand that down, clean off all the dust, spray with Killz...and I was able to paint it. Yeah!!! Then was the reupholstery. I had no clue what to do on that so that is where my mother in law took over.

I purchased all of the material and the cushion from "Hancock's Fabric". I went with a 100% cotton fabric. The cushion was $16.99 and the fabric was $7.99 yd and we used 1.5 yards.



Here is what she looks like now....





I am loving how it looks!! Whenever we get the room finished I will post more pics. I have another "redo" item that I am putting the finishing touches on that goes in the room.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the "new" chair. It matches my booth stuff. Hmmm might have to borrow it sometime ;o)

Anonymous said...

Great job